Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ode to The Starlet


Years ago...I hate to think how many, I received a sewing machine, a Singer Starlet, for Christmas from Mom and Dad. Each of us girls got a 'big' present rather than several small. My sisters will recognize it and I know they will get a kick out of seeing it again....they religiously read my blog and hang on my every word.......NOT!!! Anyway, I think I was a freshman in high school. I used this machine so much, especially when I was in high school and college. I made almost all of my clothes! This machine has traveled with me to the many different places I have lived over the last $% years. (yes, I'm in denial, if you don't write the number it really doesn't exist!)
One of the special features of the Starlet was it was portable. It closes up and the foot pedal and the cord are stored in part of the box!
After many years of my Starlet working like a charm, I had to finally take it in for surgery a couple years ago when I was in my pillow making phase. (Remember, I have the ADD crafting problem hense another craft!) It was not working at all. I drop it at the Singer store and pick it up about a week later. The guy was very impressed with my little machine and said they didn't make very many of them 'back then'! He said it was a good little machine and he enjoyed working on it. Rather than dwelling on the 'back then' comment...I chose to bask in the fine idea that I had one of very few!!!
I have pulled the Starlet out of retirement to help me with my latest crafting project. I am finishing up a felted purse. I am actually going to try and sell this one...we'll see what happens. I needed to line it to give it a finished look.
I will post a picture of the finished purse in the next couple days. It's looking pretty cute if I do say so myself!
Happy Day!

No comments: